Caliban in The Tempest as a Colonized Native


Though not a major character, Caliban in The Tempest has become a central attention of the critics and readers of recent post colonial studies, as Richard P Wheeler (2001: 320) comments,
Many recent readings have rigorously emphasized the importance of the play’s relation to the colonialist enterprise. (p.320)
Hence, Caliban is the primary source of evaluating the nature of European colonialism, because Caliban is presented here as a symbol of a colonized native.

The name of Prospero’s servant-monster, Caliban, seems to be an anagram or derivative of “Cannibal.”.

In The Tempest, Caliban suffers the same fate as many New World natives: He loses control over a domain he thought he ruled, becoming a virtual slave of Prospero:
As I told thee before, I am subject to a tyrant, a sorcerer, that by his cunning hath cheated me of the island. (III, 2)
Almost all of the “colonizers” on the island treat Caliban, the native, as “savage” and a type of meanest creature. Prspero calls it Caliban my slave”, “slave! Caliban!”(I,2) of “vile race”(I,2) and “savage”( I,2) and  “confin’d into […]his rock”. Even Stephano is surprised to see Caliban at first,

Moreover, Prospero as a true colonizer begins to civilize, as Prospero considers, Caliban’s behaviour, culture, and educate him. For his own benefit, Prospero could teach him his language, and Prospero’s reaction was,         “You taught me language; and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse. The red plague rid you
For learning me your language!(I,2)
I think this is one of the most famous quotes often applied in post-colonial study which resembles to Salman Rushdie’s famous words, the empire writes back to the centre” That is the colonized respond colonizer’s oppression and authority with the very language, education and culture of the colonizer.

Work Cited:

Wheeler, Richard P. “Fantacy and History in The Tempest.” The tempest: critical essays. Ed. Patrick M. Murphy. Routledge, 2001

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Postcolonial Study of Heart of Darkness

The character of Helen in The Iliad

Search for Identity in A House For Mr. Biswas